Friday 28 June 2013

How to Build a House by Dana Reinhardt

Hiya Readers!

Can I start of by saying that no, I will not be  instructing you on how to build a semi-detached bungalow, so if I have mislead you, I apologize!!

How to Build a HouseSo, I actually read this book slightly more than a month ago, but I never got round to doing a review, so I'm finally doing it! This book was one of my favorites for a long time and it's basically about this girl who goes away to work on this charity project, and has lots of new experiences, meets new people and even finds love. I know, I am pretty terrible at describing books, and I have probably made this seem like the crummiest book ever, but I assure you, it's not. So here's the blurb-

Harper's dad is getting a divorce from her beloved stepmother, Jane. Even worse, Harper has lost her stepsister, Tess; the divorce divides them. Harper decides to escape by joining a volunteer program to build a house for a family in Tennessee who lost their home in a tornado. Not that she knows a thing about construction.
Soon she’s living in a funky motel and working long days in blazing heat with a group of kids from all over the country. At the site, she works alongside Teddy, the son of the family for whom they are building the house. Their partnership turns into a summer romance, complete with power tools. Learning to trust and love Teddy isn’t easy for Harper, but it’s the first step toward finding her way back home. 
Yep, I know, it does sound pretty cheesy, I think it may be an attraction I have to cheesy books, but seriously, it is a great novel. So anyway, I'm gonna crack on and review the book....

Appearance 7/10
I thought it was okay, nothing amazing, in fact the only reason I picked this book out was because I was about to ask the librarian if she could put it back in the non-fiction section where it belongs (when I first saw the title!)!. Does look quite cool though, and I quite like the quirky title.

Blurb 7/10
The blurb was pretty standard, verging on slightly corny (like all good blurbs should?!). That is pretty much all I have to say on the matter, although I would say that it doesn't quite show how good the book is...

Chapter Hooks 9/10
I couldn't put this book down, I don't know if it is because I just love these type of books, or because it was genuinely a great book, but either way it had me gripped right from the start, when she arrived at the more than slightly shabby hotel!

Overall Value For Money 10/10
Well, I think it costs about $8.99 on average, and I think this is worth it. Actually, in hindsight, I probably would have put this on my 'top five summer reads' post. It truly is the perfect book to read on a Sunday morning , with a lemonade in your hand and this book in another....

So, with an overall score of 33/40 I give you 'How To Build A House'! It truly is an epic book.
I actually found it really refreshing, and for some reason when I finished it I felt so... I don't know...fulfilled?

So anyway, I hope you enjoyed this post!
Keep Reading

BookWorm xx







No comments:

Post a Comment